Pediatric Intensive Care Unit (PICU)
The Pediatric Intensive Care Unit is an 11-bed unit that cares for critically ill children, and is the only one of its kind between Birmingham and Nashville. The PICU is staffed by pediatric intensivists who are board certified in Pediatric Critical Care as well as pediatric acute care trained nurse practitioners. All nursing staff are also dedicated and specially trained in Pediatric Critical Care and Pediatric Advanced Life Support (PALS) certified.
Children from other hospitals
Children from across north Alabama and south central Tennessee come to Huntsville Hospital for Women & Children to receive critical, lifesaving medical care. The Kids Care ambulances use specialized equipment and highly trained staff to provide around-the-clock transport services for children.
Specialists and therapists included on our staff:
- Pediatric physical, speech and occupational therapist
- Dedicated Child Life specialist
- Pediatric Respiratory therapist
- Pediatric dietitian
- Social worker to assist parents with any needs when transitioning home
- Dedicated Pediatric Unit based pharmacist
- Internationally Board Certified Lactation Consultants
PICU staff is supported by other disciplines including social workers, Child Life specialists and hospital chaplains.
- 24-hour visitation for parents
- Parents are encouraged to stay with their children
- One parent may sleep at the bedside during the night
- There may be visits by one of our facility dogs or a member of the therapy pets program.
- Parents will determine who will be allowed to visit.